Welcome to another episode of the Exposure Ninja Digital Marketing Podcast, and boy do we have a treat for you today! In this week’s episode, Tim is joined by the direct-response copywriting hero, and living legend, that is John Carlton.
For those of you that don’t know who John Carlton is, he’s one of the A-List of direct-response copywriters who’s been around since the golden age of newspaper and magazine advertising. John is responsible for some of the most powerful full-page written ads of all time, including this ‘Magic Move’ golf ad and this ‘Free Gun’ ad.
What can you expect to learn from this podcast episode?
This episode is a real chance to learn from a true legend and take the principles of direct-response marketing, that was so well established and effective in direct mail and newspapers/magazines ads, and translate them into today’s digital advertising world to benefit your own business!
Here are some of the things we cover in this episode:
- John’s definition of good copy
- What sort of difference can good copy make on a website?
- Attention: How can you keep people’s attention on a page long enough for them to be influenced by your message? PLUS: Who is a more formidable enemy – the magazine page turn or the back button?
- John’s website copy sins that lead visitors NOT to convert
- Objection Handling: How to identify the main buyer objections when you’re writing your website copy
- Personality vs Sales: Getting the balance right in your copy
- Writing Copy for Video: John’s top examples and what he thinks makes a compelling video script
- Long Form Video (i.e. webinar) vs Short Form Video (i.e. Facebook ad)
- Email: How to make sure your emails get read and discussions on the optimal email length
- John’s tips for becoming a better writer
BONUS CONTENT: Make sure you watch the video version of this episode as we show you some of John’s most awesome ads ON SCREEN while we’re talking.
As always, let us know what you think — drop us a line on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram @ExposureNinja and if you enjoy the show, please leave us a review on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts from!
If you’ve got more questions or want a space to brainstorm ideas with other small business owners and get your burning digital marketing questions answered by the ninjas themselves, then you can also join our Digital Marketing Mastermind Facebook Group.
If you’re at all even remotely interested in growing your business online, then you should absolutely request your FREE website plan from one of our expert marketing strategists. We’ll also give you a step-by-step plan to increase your traffic and sales from Google and social media. The service is completely free, rated extremely highly by users and comes with no obligation to work with us afterwards. All Exposure Ninja marketing plans are SEO-optimised and conversion optimised.
Massive thanks to John Carlton for taking part, you can find him over at John-Carlton.com. While you’re there, make sure you sign up to the mailing list and FEAST on a tonne of awesome content sent directly to your inbox!